Friday, August 05, 2005

Usher Audio S-520 Speakers

During lunch, a colleague who is also an audiophile brought me to a couple of hifi shops in Bukit Timah Plaza. At X-Audio, he pointed this pair of speakers to me and asked me how much I thought they cost. Looking at the very well built speakers in glossy piano finish, I said, "Dunno, S$2000?" "No, just S$550!", he said. The very friendly shop owner then talked to us about the product lines and awards garned by the Taiwnese company, Usher Audio.

We asked to try out the speakers which the owner happily obliged. But before that, we played a few tracks on the ProAc bookshelfs (think it's the Response 1SC Reference 8 Signature) which he already had connected. I didn't ask what the rest of the system are, but pre/power amps are from Threshold Audio. After this he switched the speakers over to the Usher S-520.

The difference is clearly audible. Voices sound more natural and have more ambience and presence. There is more detail in the audio playback and literally puts you right where the performer is and engages you in the performance. The speaker also has nice deep & tight bass which is not overpowering.

I am amazed. Until today, I've never heard of the Usher brand, but for the kind of price/performance ratio, I am giving it serious consideration for a future upgrade to my existing budget hifi setup. It really gives the more expensive speakers a run for their money.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home